Friday 18 May 2012

Why I care about pit bulls

 

Why I care about pit bulls

About seven years ago, something happened that really surprised me.

In an instant, Hayley was swarmed by a small pack of little people. Hayley tolerated all of the aggressive petting as she always did, with a calm and quite tolerance.

All I really ask is that you do not generalize and make assumptions of dogs you don't know. If you can do that, I guarantee you'll have your kids hanging off my dog the next time I bump into you in the park.

Physically, they are built like tanks and are incredibly strong.

The problem with listening to the media for information is that together with being sensationalized, it's being reported on by people who have little or no knowledge of dogs. I have yet to meet a dog trainer who thought pit bulls were bad.

Pit bulls are an excellent breed that were originally known as the "nanny dog" due to the their great affinity for children.

In an instant, her smile transformed into a shocked grimace and she quickly yanked her daughter away from Hayley.

Soon, Hayley's allure died down, and the kids began to disperse back into the park to play.

After a moment, the mom asked, "What type of dog is she?"

I happily replied, "She's a pit bull.

But take it from someone who has worked with hundreds of dogs and been bitten more than a few times: Pits are not the ones doing most of the biting.

It wasn't long before some of the kids spotted Hayley and ran over to us in excitement. According to the American Temperament Test Society, pit bulls actually score about the same as golden retrievers and standard poodles on temperament tests.

This is no surprise to me and other dog professionals

Why I care about pit bulls



Trade News selected by Local Linkup on 18/05/2012

 

No comments:

Post a Comment