Tuesday 3 July 2012

Riding accident sets Lyndsey on course for a brand new canine career

 

Riding accident sets Lyndsey on course for a brand new canine career

A BELSAY woman has turned to man's best friend after an nasty injury put a stop to her original career.

Other instructors have come on board and this has enabled the business to look after all areas of a dog's welfare.

As she helped teach Border Collie Grace to work sheep on a local farm, where she lives with her partner, and her cocker spaniel Sweep is a working gundog, Lyndsey did a dog grooming course online.

Practical courses followed and she enjoyed them all.

The Stamfordham resident has two Saarloos wolfhounds.

"The premises are excellent for us because the unit is big enough for everything we need indoors and we have acres of farmland in which to walk the dogs.

But the 27-year-old was determined to do something useful when she was injured and the answer came in the form of her other favourite animal.

"I was in hospital for three days and I suffered a subtalar fracture of the foot.

"I was upset because I couldn't get my foot to the correct angle to ride a horse and I haven't been back on one since the accident.

"A high percentage of canines are of a gundog breed, so they need regular stimulation and activity and it isn't good for them to be left at home for long periods.

She is studying towards a gold level award with the Academy of Dog Trainers and Behaviourists (ADTB).

Susan has an NVQ level two in animal care, an NVQ level three in pet care management, has the ADTB gold standard and is presently studying towards a foundation degree in advanced canine management and psychology.

"But as one door closed, another door opened with the dog training courses and I'm glad in a way how things have turned out because I enjoy working for myself and I get a lot of reward out of developing people's dogs.

"My degree looks into the brain function of dogs, which I'm applying to my classes and one-to-one behavioural consultations," she said.

Lyndsey said: "On the day of the accident, I was riding out for a friend when suddenly the horse reared up and fell on me.

As well as a 140sq m arena - there is a no kennel policy - it offers walking, feeding and interaction with other dogs, a full grooming service and training classes for all ages and abilities.

"We treat each dog we take care of as if they were our own and as we're all living increasingly busy lives, we're happy to supply day care for full days (8am up to 6pm), half days or on an hourly basis.

Riding accident sets Lyndsey on course for a brand new canine career



Trade News selected by Local Linkup on 03/07/2012

 

No comments:

Post a Comment